8 minutes in the life of a total dweeb
Here’s how I’ve spent (some of) my time this evening:
- 8:49 pm
- Going through a pile of stuff on my desk, notice a note that I jotted down in the Portland airport last Monday. It was the title and author of a book I spotted in the airport bookstore that I knew I had to read someday: Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players. Wonder to myself if they have it at the Austin public library.
- 8:51 pm
- The Austin Public Library website confirms that they do indeed have the book, and it’s available at the branch a quarter-mile from my house — yes! thanks, Tim! — but the branch closes at 9 o’clock.
- 8:52 pm
- Heavy contemplation.
- 8:53 pm
- Into the car and down the street…
- 8:55 pm
- Walk into library.
- 8:55 pm and 18 seconds
- Book in hand — thanks, Melvil!
- 8:57 pm
- Through the checkout line; walking out of library to head back home.
OK, now that I have a commenting system, throngs of readers, tell me how YOU spent 8 minutes of today: